The Letting Process

Although Letting Agents have different procedures, this guide is intended as a general overview to assist you when renting a property. We have set out below a few significant pointers to assist you.

Also see the government issued How To Rent Guide, June 1st 2019. You will be issued one of these when you move in but it will provide an insight of what is expected from you when you rent a property.




When we carry out the referencing process your affordability will be taken into account. This is to ensure that you do not rent a property that you cannot afford and put yourself under undue financial hardship.

The affordability works as follows.

2.5 x Annual Rent = Annual Income amount required per tenancy (individual or joint)

Example: Rent = £600PCM x 12 = £7200. X 2.5 = £18,000.00

A property of £600 PCM (per calendar month) would require your income, jointly or individually, to be £18000.00 per year.


If your income does not meet this figure, you may be able to rent with a guarantor. 

3 x Annual Rent = Annual Income amount required for a Guarantor per tenancy

Example: Rent = £600PCM x 12 = £7200. X 3 = £21,600.00

A property of £600 PCM (per calendar month) would require your Guarantors income, jointly to be £21,600.00 per year.

PDF Affordability Table


The acceptance of a Guarantor would be subject to them being fully referenced which is described further down the page.

Your Offer

Once you have found a suitable property, you will be in a position to make an offer to the Landlord for consideration. Please note that any offer you make would be subject to you successfully fulfilling our referencing criteria. If your circumstances are accepted we will then begin the Application process.

If you would like to apply for a property YOU MUST telephone Elliott Booth 01253 403813 option 2 to book your application appointment. At your application appointment you will be given a draft copy of The Tenancy Agreement and your guarantor will be given a draft copy of The Guarantor Agreement should your circumstances dictate that you require a guarantor. Your guarantor must also be present at your application appointment.

Please note, if you arrive at your application appointment without ALL of the necessary documents that we require, YOU WILL BE TURNED AWAY.

In order to process your application you will be required to provide the following:

Right To Rent Checks

You will need to prove that you have the Right To Rent in the U.K. By clicking on the link below you can check what you need.

In summary, a valid Passport will suffice or a UK driving License with a government issued letter will be accepted.

Proof Of Income

All tenants must provide proof of their income. Accepted documents are listed below;

  • The last 3 months of wage slips / 6 weeks wage slips if paid weekly / 2 years SA302’s if self employed.
  • The last 3 months of bank or building society statements.
  • Benefit Award Letters if applicable..

Please note, In order to process your application we require original documents. Screenshots will NOT be accepted. If you arrive at your application appointment without ALL of the necessary documents that we require, YOU WILL BE TURNED AWAY.

Occasionally, a GUARANTOR will be required if, for example you have not been continuously employed for the past 18 months; have been working abroad in the previous 6 months; your income falls short of our criteria or your employment is considered as changeable.

Please note that the same criteria apply to the guarantor for referencing and, furthermore, the guarantor must earn the equivalent of 3 times the yearly sum of the rent, be in full time employment or be able to prove by bank statements that they have “independent means” and have no adverse credit history. If you are required to provide a guarantor and you are unable to provide one, we will not be able to process your application.

The guarantor must be aware that they will stand as guarantor for you, (and all persons named on The Tenancy Agreement if you are moving in to the property with someone else), for the entire occupancy of the property, not just for the period of the initial tenancy term.

Your guarantor can click on the link below to see what personal information, as well as proof of affordability listed above, that they will need to provide.

Click here to download a Guarantor application form.

Holding Deposit and Submission of Your Application

As soon as your offer has been accepted by the Landlord, we will submit your application to The referencing company. In order to see what personal information that you will be required to provide, please click the link below to download our application form. Alternatively you can fill these in at your application appointment.

Click here to download a PDF version of an application form.

Please note, if you arrive at your application appointment without ALL of the necessary information that we require, we will NOT process your application and YOU WILL BE TURNED AWAY.

At this point, you will be requested to provide a holding deposit which holds the property for you pending the outcome of your application. We will only accept one application for a tenancy pending the outcome of the application. The holding deposit can be used against the first months rent or bond should you agree once your application is complete.

There are four grounds on which holding deposit can be withheld:

  1. If you, the tenant pulls out of the tenancy before the contracts are signed.
  2. If you, the tenant fails a Right to Rent check. We are not lawfully as agents and landlords allow to let property to somebody that doesn’t have the right to live in the United Kingdom.
  3. If you, the tenant provides false or misleading information – this does not mean failing referencing. If you provide completely accurate information, but still fails referencing, that will be classed as the landlord or agent pulling out, then Elliott Booth will return your holding deposit. However, if you have actively lied and Elliott Booth can prove that you have actively lied, you will forfeit the holding deposit. Elliott Booth therefore strongly recommends that you check your credit worthiness prior to applying. You can check Clearscore, Experian and other agencies which will reveal whether or not you have any County Court Judgements or other forms of adverse credit.
  4. If you, the tenant doesn’t enter the tenancy Agreement by the deadline, 15 days. If you, the tenant are dragging your feet and not responding to emails, not giving the referencing agency what they need for longer than 15 days, you would also forfeit the holding deposit. But if it’s the agent or the landlord that’s dragging their feet and that goes beyond 15 days, your holding deposit would be refunded.


Our referencing company will contact your employer and your landlord (if you are in rented accommodation already). Your previous employer will also be contacted if you have recently changed jobs. If you are self-employed, we will need to contact your accountant. A credit check will also be conducted.

To assist us in collating the necessary references, it would be advantageous for you to warn the above individuals in advance that references are required so these can be return to us within a matter of a few days, barring any delays.

Tenancy Agreement

A move in appointment will be arranged with you to visit our offices to sign the tenancy agreement when all references have been received. The Landlord or Elliott Booth on the landlord’s behalf will also be sign The tenancy agreement. You will also receive any relevant documents in line with current legislation at the time. If you are required to have a Guarantor, The Guarantor must also sign their agreement prior to, or at your move in appointment.

After your initial fixed term, normally 6 months, your tenancy will continue on a Statutory Periodic Tenancy. This means that both parties are bound by the same terms and conditions of the tenancy agreement until either party ends the agreement.

If you wish to sign a new tenancy agreement, or change the details of your existing tenancy agreement, known as a variation,  there will be a charge of £50.00 inc VAT.


You will be required to provide the agreed sum of rent before taking possession of the property. The initial sum will be minus any holding deposit paid that you have elected to be used against your first months rent. Rent is to be paid monthly in advance commencing on the first day of the tenancy and then on the same day each month thereafter. The preferred method is by bank standing order. You can pay the initial rent and Security Deposit by debit card. We DO NOT accept credit card payments. Monthly payments thereafter must be paid by Standing order.

Security Deposit/Bond

The security deposit is required to be held for the full tenancy against loss, damage or charges payable at the termination of the tenancy. Whilst this is usually the equivalent of one month’s rent, this may vary therefore we suggest that the actual amount is verified via the property description as found on our letting list. The maximum you will be required to pay will be 5 weeks rent. The deposit will be held by The Deposit Protection Service and you will be issued with prescribed information and the terms and conditions of The DPS at your move in appointment. Your security deposit/bond is returnable in full at the end of the tenancy subject to final inspection of the property and it should be noted that any claims for deductions will be made for any parts of the tenancy agreement that have not be fulfilled. i.e. If the property has not have been left in a satisfactory condition as per the inventory and the condition it was in when your tenancy started, allowing for fair wear and tear.

Relevant letting fees and tenant protection information
As well as paying the rent, you may also be required to make the following permitted payments.

Permitted payments
Before the tenancy starts (payable to Elliott Booth Ltd. ‘the Agent’)
Holding Deposit: 1 week’s rent maximum
Deposit:1 Calendar Months Rent

During the tenancy (payable to the Agent)
For English properties:

Payment of interest for the late payment of rent at a rate of 3 % plus The Bank of England Base Rate for Unpaid Rent. from rent due date until paid in order to pursue non-payment of rent. Please Note: This will not be levied until the rent is more than 14 days in arrears.

Variation of Contract (Tenant’s Request) £50 (inc. VAT) per agreed variation.To cover the costs associated with taking landlord’s instructions as well as the preparation and execution of new legal documents.

Change of Sharer (Tenant’s Request) £50.00 (inc. VAT) per replacement tenant or any reasonable costs incurred if higher. To cover the costs associated with taking landlord’s instructions, new tenant referencing and Right-to-Rent checks, deposit registration as well as the preparation and execution of new legal documents.

Early Termination (Tenant’s Request)Should the tenant wish to leave their contract early, they shall be liable to the landlord’s costs in re-letting the property as well as all rent due under the tenancy until the start date of the replacement tenancy. These costs will be no more than the maximum amount of rent outstanding on the tenancy.

Payment for the incurred costs for the loss of keys/security devices .Tenants are liable to the actual cost of replacing any lost key(s) or other security device(s). If the loss results in locks needing to be changed, the actual costs of a locksmith, new lock and replacement keys for the tenant, landlord any other persons requiring keys will be charged to the tenant.

During the tenancy (payable to the provider) if permitted and applicable
Utilities – gas, electricity, water
Communications – telephone and broadband
Installation of cable/satellite
Subscription to cable/satellite supplier
Television licence
Council Tax

Other permitted payments

Any other permitted payments, not included above, under the relevant legislation including contractual damages.

Tenant protection

Elliott Booth Ltd is a member of Client Money Protect , and also a member of The Property Redress Scheme, which is a redress scheme. You can find out more details on the about us section of our website or by contacting the Elliott Booth Ltd directly.

By law, landlords and agents in England and Wales, who take a deposit from tenants under an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement (AST), must protect that deposit using a government–authorised tenancy deposit protection scheme.

Elliott Booth uses The Deposit Protection Service (DPS). This is a custodial scheme, which means the DPS safeguards the deposit throughout the period of the tenancy and repays the funds to the appropriate parties at the end. You can read more about the Deposit Protection Service and login to your account here.

When you first move into your home, we will register your deposit with the DPS. You will receive a deposit confirmation, either by post or email, which will contain a deposit ID and a repayment ID. Please make sure you keep this confirmation safe, as you will need it to claim your deposit back at the end of your tenancy. If you don’t for any reason receive this, please log on to The DPS,create an account using your details and The Prescribed information that you are issued on your move in appointment. If, at the end of your tenancy, you cannot find your confirmation, you will need to contact the DPS on 0330 303 0030 with your tenancy details.

Although we have the deposit ID, we do not know your repayment ID number, as it is unique to you. At the end of your tenancy, you can request your deposit back by logging into your account and selecting ‘Request a Repayment’. The on-screen guidance will take you through the process of requesting your repayment. The DPS will notify your landlord or us, asking them to log in and respond to the claim, or to fill out a paper form, which the DPS will send to you. Once both parties have completed the repayment process, the repayment will be released within 10 calendar days. Please note that if you don’t receive a response from us or from your landlord, your deposit will remain with the DPS until a single claim is made or a court order is received. Repayments can be made direct to a UK bank account, or by cheque made payable to the agent/landlord or tenant. Repayments by cheque can only be made to the named agent/landlord and/or named tenant(s). If there is a dispute regarding the return of your deposit, the DPS offers a free, evidenced-based Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) service. In the event of a dispute, both the agent/landlord and tenant must consent to use the ADR service, and agree to be bound by their decision.

At Elliott Booth, we let and manage a variety of furnished and unfurnished properties throughout Blackpool and the surrounding areas for rent. All security deposits are held in The Deposit Protection Service and are fully protected. Our site contains a constantly updated register of rental property.  For more detailed information or appointments to view please contact us on 01253 403813 option 2. Please keep in mind that a range of rigorous checks on all prospective tenants will be carried out and we will require at least one full month’s rent as a deposit and one month’s rent paid in advance. Should you be uncertain as to your suitability or have specific requirements, please contact us.  

The following information will give you a guideline of who is responsible for certain things. Please also see our Frequently Asked Questions Section.

1.The Tenant will be responsible for insuring their own possessions and will be required to insure against the Landlord’s contents such as carpets and fixtures and fittings.

2.The Tenant will take over all utilities such as Gas, Electricity, Water/Sewage charges, Council Tax & Telephone upon moving into the property and will be responsible for contacting the relevant suppliers accordingly prior to commencement of the tenancy.

3.The Landlord is responsible for any repair/maintenance problems to:

The structure and exterior of the building, such as walls,roof,external doors and windows.

Sinks, baths, toilets and other sanitary fittings, including pipes and drains all with the exception of blockage due to use.

Heating and Hot Water systems.

All gas appliances, pipes, flues and ventilation.

Electrical Wiring.

Items that are usually defined in the inventory unless damaged by the tenant and is not a health and safety issue.

Tenant is responsible for any breakages which should be reported immediately.

4.Decoration of the property must only be done with your Landlord’s permission.

5.No pets are allowed unless the Landlord has given consent.

6.Reasonable notice should be given in the event that the Letting Agent or Landlord wishes to inspect the property outside pre-agreed times. It is usual for the Agent to inspect the property at least once during the fixed term of your Tenancy and every 6 months thereafter, The Tenancy Agreement should cover this eventuality.

7.Most lets are for 6 months, although some Landlords may consider longer terms of say 12 months.

8.Should you wish to quit your Tenancy earlier than the agreed term, you will be liable for all rent until the end of the agreed Tenancy. However, it may be worth considering negotiating a BREAK CLAUSE with the Landlord which, for example, could entitle you to give notice after 4 months.

In this case, you would only be liable for the rent for the notice period of 2 months, releasing you from the remaining 6 months of a 12-month Tenancy.

9.There is no set law regarding the time limit for returning deposits but this is normally subsequent to the final inspection of the property. Letting agents generally encourage Landlords to employ a professional inventory agent to conduct the inspection and produce a report as to the condition of the interior at the beginning of the Tenancy and again at the end but this is not obligatory. In most cases, the deposit will be returned once any damages are ascertained by the Tenant/Landlord/Inventory Clerk and appropriate deductions agreed.

10.The most common type of Tenancy Agreement is the assured short hold used for 6-12 month lets and usually takes the form of a standard contract between both parties.

However, should any “extras” be agreed such as certain furnishings to be provided by the Landlord, you should ask that an extra clause be added to the agreement to this effect. It should be noted that the landlord is not obliged to carry out promises so it is important that your requests are documented.

11.Elliott Booth will deal with the property viewings, references, agreements and getting you moved in. If Elliott Booth has been instructed to manage the property, then you will normally report any repairs or queries to them. If not, then you will deal directly with the Landlord.

12.Elliott Booth, whilst acting for the Landlord, operates within accepted guidelines in the industry to ensure that you are able to rely on a professional letting agent taking your concerns seriously and advising the Landlord if they are being unreasonable. In this regard, you should be assured that the property conforms to all safety regulations and is fairly priced.

13.You require a professional service and, as such, Elliott Booth ensures that professional standards are met, for example, the correct Tenancy Agreement is used; proper procedures are in place for reporting and dealing with repairs; safety checks are conducted and a bonding scheme is provided to protect your deposit.


Your local council

Your local council can help with all aspects of your council tax, bin collections, benefits, leisure centres, libraries, schools and much more.

Blackpool council

For all general enquiries, call 01253 477477 or email

For housing benefit enquiries, call 01253 478847 (Monday to Friday, 3.00pm-5.00pm) or email

You can to write Blackpool Council at:

 Blackpool Council

 PO Box 4


 FY1 1NA


You can visit the Customer First Centre at:

 Municipal Buildings

 Corporation Street


 FY1 1NF

Open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.


Wyre council

For all enquiries, call 01253 891000 or email


You can visit or write to Wyre Council at:

Wyre Council

 Civic Centre,

 Breck Road,



 FY6 7PU

Open hours Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm.

Fylde council

For all enquiries, call 01253 658 658 or email You can also text 07860 003290.


Fylde Council

You can visit Fylde Council at:

Fylde Direct,

 The Town Hall

 St Annes Road West

 Lytham St Annes


 FY8 1LW


Offices are open Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 8.30am to 5pm, Wednesday from 9am to 5pm and Friday from 8.30am to 4.30pm.


1.You can report a repair by filling in the form below.

2.You can report your repair by ringing 01253 403813 option 2 during our office opening hours of Monday to Friday between 9am and 5.00pm and on Saturdays from 9.00am to 1.00pm. You can also leave a voicemail which we will pick up during opening hours.

3.You can email your repair to: We are not open on Bank Holidays and we close over the Christmas period. Christmas opening hours will be available on our website and Facebook pages.

Emergencies What is an Emergency? It is our view that an emergency situation is when the incident is dangerous, life-threatening or may result in personal injury or a public liability claim or serious deterioration of the property. If you have an emergency situation, for example, water coming through the ceiling, we will endeavour to help you immediately.

Is the issue an emergency? The landlord will only pay for contractors to attend to the property out of office hours in the event of emergencies. We deem an emergency to be placing tenants in danger or serious deterioration of the property. We expect our tenants to use common sense as to what is deemed an emergency. Please note: If an emergency contractor attends unnecessarily you may be held liable for the costs involved. Please take the following actions before calling our emergency line.

Gas If you smell gas or suspect a leak of suspect fumes are escaping from an appliance, call the Gas Emergency Services immediately on 0800 111 999 (24 hours). Open windows and doors and if necessary vacate the property. Do not turn on an electrical appliances or switches. 

Electrical Fault Check fuses have not blown, circuit breakers are in the ‘ON’ position and that there hasn’t been a general power cut in the area. If you have a power cut, check to see if your neighbours are affected too.

  • If your neighbours’ supply is still on – check your trip switch (if you have one). If it has tripped, switch off and unplug all of your appliances then reset it. If the fault persists ring 07973709703 – EDC.
  • If your neighbours also have no power – call your local Electricity Network Operator’s 24 Hour Emergency Helpline. Electricity North West 0900 195 4141

Heating & Hot Water The loss of heating and hot water is only deemed an emergency if the weather is extremely cold or you have a young baby in the property. If you think your boiler isn’t working properly, first check to see if the pilot light is on and, if you have a combination-boiler, check that the pressure is set between 1 and 2. The instruction manual will tell you how to re-light the pilot light and re-set the pressure if you suspect this is the problem. If you don’t have a manual to hand you can find these online by searching for the boiler make and model number.

For EMERGENCY gas-related, boiler-related and plumber-related issues contact our out of hours contact number: Select Heating and Plumbing, Steve Clough 07874 213352 or Howard Robinson 07816 879644 or Smart Heating Solutions Sam Clough 07568554927. For Emergencies that aren’t of a gas or electrical nature call PRO Building and Maintenance 07838 680628 or CS Maintenance 07729976434 .

Leaks For small leaks which can be caught in a container, please ensure that you put a bucket or similar container below the leak and remember to empty it regularly. Please then contact us during office hours. If you suffer a burst pipe or severe water leaking into the property you must firstly locate the stop cock and turn off the water. Mop up all surface water as quickly as possible to prevent damage. If water is coming from an upstairs property, alert the occupants above immediately and ask them to shut off the source of the leak. If they are not in, leave them a note to contact you and call your local Environmental Health Department (01253 477477) and ask for the water ingress team. You can also call CS Maintenance,Chris Somers on 07729976434.

Error: Contact form not found.

Frequently Asked Questions

Here is a list of questions we’re asked by tenants. If you don’t find the answer you’re looking for, please contact us and we’ll be happy to help!

How much do I have to earn to be considered for a property?

Having passed all the referencing criteria to be considered for the property and, subject to the Landlord’s decision, you must earn at least 1.5 times the yearly rent (however, you will require a guarantor at the 1.5 calculation) or at least 2.5 times the yearly rent (you will qualify on the income part of the referencing without a guarantor).

 Why do I have to pay a security deposit / bond?

A bond or security deposit is held to ensure that any damages not caused by fair wear and tear can be corrected at the end of your tenancy. If the property is left in a good condition as it was when you moved in, allowing for “fair wear and tear”, the security deposit will be returned to you in full providing you have met the terms of the tenancy agreement.

What will happen to my security deposit / bond?

Landlords and letting agents are required to register your security deposit with an approved deposit scheme. Elliott Booth Ltd. use The Deposit Protection Service. You can find out more information about them on our Deposit Guide Section of our website. You will also receive full details when you move into a property.

How long will my tenancy agreement be for?

A tenancy agreement is a contract signed by both the tenant and the landlord, and outlines all the rules to which both parties must comply. Your initial tenancy agreement will be for six months. Subject to you satisfactorily maintaining your tenancy during this time, your tenancy will continue on a month to month periodic basis. You may need your tenancy agreement at the end of your tenancy, so keep it safe.

What is a routine inspection visit?

We want to make sure that the property is being looked after, so we will carry out quarterly or six monthly inspections. We will also be looking for any maintenance issues which you haven’t already reported.

Can I decorate or make changes to the property?

Most landlords will allow tenants to decorate, but only with written permission. Sometimes landlords may give you permission on the understanding that the property is put back to its original condition when you leave. If you would like to decorate your home, you can email your request to, post it to us or call into the office. We will then contact the landlord for their approval.

What if I want to end the tenancy?

If you are in a fixed term contract (for example, if you are in the first six months of your tenancy), you will be liable for the rent until the fixed term is finished. You will also be liable for any costs incurred to the landlord to re let the property if you want to terminate early. If you are on a rolling month to month contract, you must give one calendar months’ notice.

Do you charge an application fee?

No! From 1st June 2019 The Tenants Fee Act will come in to place. This means that as a tenant you can only be expected to pay the following;

Rent:  A tenant’s regular payment to a landlord for the use of the property.

A refundable Holding Deposit of no more than one weeks’ rent: A Holding Deposit is a payment made by a tenant to a landlord (or to an
agent acting on the landlord’s behalf) to reserve that property.

A refundable Tenancy Deposit of no more than six weeks’ rent: A Tenancy Deposit is money held by the landlord (or agent acting on
the landlord’s behalf) as security during the period of the tenancy and reserved for any damages or defaults by the tenant.
NB: Six weeks’ rent means six times one week’s rent and one week’s rent means the amount of the annual rent payable in respect of the tenancy immediately after its grant, renewal or continuance divided by fifty-two.Taking more than what is allowed in either case would mean that the amount in excess is a prohibited payment.

Payments in the event of a default: Landlords and letting agents may require a tenant to make a payment in the event of a default (e.g.
requesting a replacement for a lost key). The amount charged cannot exceed the loss suffered by the landlord. The tenancy agreement must
specify the circumstances in which these payments may be required. NB: If the amount of payment exceeds the loss suffered by the landlord
because of the default, the amount in excess is a prohibited payment.

Charging to vary a tenancy: When a tenant has requested it, landlords and agents can charge to vary, assign or replace a tenancy. Such fees are capped at £50 unless the landlord can demonstrate that greater costs were incurred.

Payment on termination of a tenancy: Agents and landlords can require a tenant to make a payment for an early termination of the tenancy
agreement at the tenant’s request. The payment cannot exceed the loss suffered by the landlord or reasonable costs incurred by the letting agent. NB: If the amount of payment exceeds the reasonable costs of the letting agent or landlord in respect of the termination of the tenancy, the amount of the excess is a prohibited payment.

Council Tax payments: Letting agents and landlords may require tenants to pay the Council Tax on the property they rent.

Will I need a guarantor?

We may ask for a guarantor if you are under 25 years old, claiming housing benefit or if you have any adverse credit. Please note, you must be at least 18 years old to rent a property through us. You will need a guarantor if your income is lower than 2.5 x the annual rent of the property. Your guarantor will need to earn 3 x the annual rent of the property, have no adverse credit and be in employment or have funds in place that will cover the period of the tenancy.

Can I apply for a property without viewing it?

No, we do not allow anyone to apply for a property without viewing it first. The property may not be as you expect it to be from looking at the photographs. Once you have signed up, you are tied in for the first six months, so it’s important that you view first to make sure you’re happy.

How can I pay my rent?

You can pay your rent by standing order, debit card or BACS. We do not accept credit card. We do not accept cash payments.

I am in receipt of benefits, who is responsible for dealing with Universal Credit or My housing benefit?

You are responsible for dealing with your personal finances. We may text you as a reminder to pay your top up if applicable, but the responsibility to pay your rent on time will always be yours.

Will I have to pay a pet bond?

No! under The Tenants Fee Act you can no longer be required to pay a pet bond. A landlord however, is permitted to charge an increased rent for tenants who wish to have a pet.

Do I need to do anything at the end of my tenancy?

  • Ensure you leave the property in a clean and tidy condition and that the property is in the same condition as when you moved in, allowing for fear wear and tear. 
  • Rectify any damage that you,your visitors or pets that you have been allowed to keep have caused.
  • Remove all personal belongings/unwanted items are not to be left in the property, it is a timely and costly process to dispose of rubbish and unwanted items.
  • The utilities should be paid in full up to your vacating date. It is your responsibility to contact the local Council to update their Council Tax Records.
  • Check the inventory – Please ensure that no items have gone missing or have been damaged during the term of your tenancy. If there is anything missing or damaged which is listed in the inventory this will need to be replaced.  
  • On the date that you vacate the property please return all keys to the office or on the Check-out with the agent at the property. If this is outside office hours please put them in an envelope and drop them through our office letterbox or arrange drop off with your property manager.
  • Please also arrange with the post office for your mail to be redirected.
  • Your deposit cannot be used to pay your last month’s rent. Please arrange for your standing order to be cancelled by your bank following the payment of your last monthly rent due.

What happens when I move out? When your tenancy is over and you have vacated the property, we will carry out a ‘check out’ inspection where we assess the condition of the property at the end of your tenancy compared to the start of the tenancy,allowing for fair wear and tear  by using the inventory – you are invited to attend. If any cleaning or work is required at the property, then you will be notified and the necessary work ordered. Once the invoices come back from our contractors then we can notify our deposit scheme provider of the final balance (if any) to be billed against the deposit held. This process can take a couple of weeks but we do it as quickly as we can.

Who is my energy supplier?

If you click on the following link you can find out who supplies the energy to your rented property.

Can I decorate or make changes to the property?

Most landlords will allow tenants to decorate, but only with written permission. Sometimes landlords may give you permission on the understanding that the property is put back to its original condition when you leave. If you would like to decorate your home, you can email your request to, post it to us or call into the office. We will then contact the landlord for their approval.

Who is responsible for the TV Aerial?

The tenant is responsible for the repair and maintenance of any television aerials, satellite dishes or similar installations for use with any television at the property. You are also reminded that a television licence is required in order to use a television at the property and the tenant would be responsible for this cost.

Who is responsible for pests?

Fortunately, with modern building and repair standards, we expect few tenants to be troubled by household pests during their tenancy. An infestation of any kind, be it ants, fungal attack, bedbugs, fleas or wasps makes a property unpleasant to live in and should be eradicated as soon as possible. Regular cleaning and vacuuming will help to prevent any such infestation taking hold, and you are expected to take care of the property in this way and keep a watchful eye for unwelcome visitors as part of your tenancy obligations. During the tenancy, the tenant is responsible for keeping the property free of any pests, and also for any damage that might occur as a result. You should inform the agent if you discover any pest infestation at the property.

What do I do about Mould and Condensation in my property?

Condensation is created when a property is not ventilated well enough and becomes evident when there is a difference in temperature between inside and outside. You will be issued with a condensation and mould guide on your move in appointment. You can also download a copy below.

Click here to download a PDF guide to mould and condensation.

It is a tenant’s responsibility to make sure condensation and mould do not build up in a property.

Make sure you open your windows and doors to ventilate your property and don’t turn off the extractor fan in internal bath/shower-rooms. Do not dry washing on radiators. If you are concerned that mould in your property may be related to damp because you are following all of the advice, please let us or your Landlord know ASAP and we’ll organise a damp specialist to survey the property to give us their professional opinion.

Who is responsible for smoke detectors?

You will find that smoke detectors and similar safety devices have been fitted in your property. Where this is the case, please ensure that you check all such devices on moving into the property and familiarise yourself with their operation (most smoke detectors have a test button to check batteries and the unit are operating correctly) and report any problems to us. Thereafter, you should check the devices at regular intervals, we recommend at least once per month, and you will be responsible for replacement of any batteries that they may require.                      

Periodic tenancies

A periodic tenancy is one that rolls from month to month or week to week and has no set end date. You will have a periodic tenancy if your tenancy agreement:

  • doesn’t contain a fixed end date
  • had an end date but you stayed after it passed and didn’t agree to a further fixed term

Different rules apply if you have a fixed term tenancy and the fixed term hasn’t expired. For example, if you’re 7 months into a 12 month contract.

Writing your notice letter

You must give your landlord notice in writing to end a periodic tenancy. This is called a ‘notice to quit’. Your notice letter should include:

  • your name and address
  • your landlord’s/Letting Agent’s name and address
  • the date your notice period ends

You should also include a forwarding address for your landlord/Agent to return your tenancy deposit. If you deliver the letter to your landlord/Agent by hand, ask for a receipt. If you post it, use recorded delivery so you can prove it arrived. You can also email your notice to but make sure that you receive confirmation that your notice has been received.

How much notice to give

You must give the correct date for when your notice period ends. Your notice letter won’t be valid otherwise. Check your tenancy agreement. If it sets out the amount of notice you must give your landlord, follow what your agreement says. If your tenancy agreement doesn’t set out a notice period, you must give your landlord at least:

  • 1 month’s notice for a monthly tenancy
  • 4 weeks’ notice for a weekly tenancy

Your notice must end on the first day or last day of your tenancy period. This is not always the date you pay your rent so check your agreement carefully.

Monthly tenancy end dates

If your tenancy started for example on 15 April:

  • the last day of your tenancy period will be 14th of the month
  • the first day of the next tenancy period will be 15th of the month

It’s easier to calculate the final month’s rent if you give notice to end on the last day of the tenancy period.

Weekly tenancy end dates

If your tenancy started for example on a Monday:

  • the last day of the tenancy period will be on a Sunday
  • the first day of the next tenancy period be the following Monday

Agree to surrender your tenancy

Your landlord may agree to accept a shorter notice period if you ask. Ask your landlord/Agent to confirm the end date of your tenancy in writing. Send your landlord/Agent a notice letter that includes the agreed leaving date.

Paying the final month’s rent

You are responsible for paying the rent until your tenancy comes to an end. Your Landlord is entitled to make deductions from your deposit for any unpaid rent. Your Landlord could also take you to court if you withhold rent.

Leaving without giving notice

If you leave without giving notice, for example if you move and then put your keys through the letterbox, this is called abandonment. Abandoning your tenancy doesn’t end it. Your agreement with the landlord continues even though you’ve left. The landlord can continue to charge you rent if you haven’t ended your tenancy correctly. Your landlord can hold you responsible for paying the rent until you end the tenancy properly or the property is re-let. Your landlord can apply for a court order to make you pay what you owe. It could make it harder to find a new home if you leave without giving notice or paying the rent in full. Most private landlords ask to see references from previous landlords.

Ending a joint tenancy

You have a joint tenancy if there’s more than one tenant’s name on the tenancy agreement. If you want to end a joint tenancy, any one of the joint tenants can give notice to the landlord. This will end the agreement for all the joint tenants. You could ask the landlord if someone else can take your place. Your landlord could agree a new tenancy with the people who want to stay. If one of you leaves without giving notice, the whole rent will still be due. If it’s not paid, the landlord can deduct money from the tenancy deposit or take court action for the money to be paid.